Monday, 18 January 2010

Jerusalem Artichokes


A slightly strange vegetable this one! I wasn't sure what was the best thing to do with them to be honest, but I opted for a cream of artichoke soup. This is really easy to make, just peel the artichokes and chop them into rough cubes. Then, heat some oil in a pan and gently soften a chopped onion and some garlic. Add the artichokes, roughly 50 ml double cream and water to cover. Then, season with salt and pepper and simmer gently until the artichokes are tender. Then, simply blitz it all together in a food processor or blender, until smooth. That's it! Personally, I think artichokes have a very distinctive flavour which is something of an acquired taste.
On my last shopping trip, I also noticed that baby British carrots seem to be in season already! I used then to go with a honey glazed pork chop I had the other day:

No comments: